MAKING MY OWN DESIGNS

I keep looking at those public changing tables in the woman's bathroom. YUCK! It gives me the creeps to think of a baby laying on that. So here was my answer to the problem and what a sweet and fast gift for a new parent .The project is fast and I used up a few scraps I just cant throw away. BONUS!

This wonderful quilt is NOT my own design. I love this block. It is very easy to do but It looks so complicated doesn't it? This little boys quilt is the last of my over zealous cutting of blue and tan strips.
My friend Jean and I were collecting blues and tans and by the time we were done collecting we had a gazillion different patterns,tones and colors of blue and tan to choose from. It was a BEAUTIFUL box of strips! I had enough 2 1/2" strips for 1 queen size quilt, 1 double bed size quilt and the last of the strips was used for this baby quilt. The boy holding the quilt... his name is Sammy. He is a first time UNCLE. He is really proud of his nephew but not to excited about getting his picture taken.
I love making picture frames. You can use us so many scraps . They can be quilted with such colorful threads. Freemotion practice is great of fabric frames.

People love these when I have given them for gifts. Just think of using a fun pet fabric for the neighbors loved dog. Or... baby fabric for a new born. How about sports motif for a T-Ball player or a wonderful gold velvet for a 50th anniversary photo frame gift? A couple of years ago, 5 of us girls friends went for a Florida weekend. We drank alot of strawberry Margaritas and now can u guess what the frames motif was for our group shot? Yep.. Margarita glasses under Palm trees!
I will be teaching a Picture Frame class at Quilter's Heaven in North Brook IL in November. Come and join the fun.



I get such a satisfaction when I make a quilt using my own designs. I adore prairie points and I find ways to include them into the body of the quilt not just around the finish borders.
We am having so many little girls born within our circle of friends this year. 6 little girls will arrive between July 2010 and Febuary 2011. Just one little boy is being born.
I have got to get busy and make gifts. Above is a little Princess quilt for a sweet little thing. I love pink and browns together.

3 comments:

  1. What a clever idea. I'm going to have to make one for my granddaughter to use when changing my great grand child. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post. Great idea on the diaper changing mat. Better go check my scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, love the quilts of your own design. The baby diaper changing mat is a great idea... you could sell them for sure if you wanted to.

    Hey, speaking of your own design... check out this blog and you can win a new Janome Horizon sewing machine! You could do it!

    http://themodernquiltguild.com

    warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

    ReplyDelete